charlestonsky

RIP M.E.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. ....I guess.

One of my favorite blogs (Creating Passionate Users) shut down a little more than a year ago because of death threats from a small handful of angry readers. I loved her ideas and passion. Each new post was a new insight into how people work and think. And the pictures... I loved her graphics.

Maybe this final graphic explains what was so great about CPU, and a few others too. Mediocre things, like my blog produce neither love nor hate--there is no passion. But now I'll say so long to another of my favorite blogs because of threats. I suppose Elrod hasn't had too many death threats, but a few too many assassin-like unemployment threats appear to have sucked the air out of yet another of my favorite web writers. I'll miss your thoughts. They are different than mine, but I like the opportunity to challenge what I think--or thought.

I guess... here's a toast to public mediocrity. And a dirge for something special, loud, public, and different that will now be something quiet, hidden, private, and gone.

 

posted by Josh M on 7:20 PM

4 comments:

Philip said...

Apparently the way to shut a blog down is threaten the author and/or their boss.

Elrod shut his blog down too.

Jen said...

Sorry, Josh, totally unrelated to your post but I'm looking for info on Ultimate Frisbee leagues in the Charleston area. Did a search and saw a blog from you on the subject from 2006. Please email me at twinjen@gmail.com. Thanks.

Josh M said...

Yeah, I'm sad to see Elrod's blog go. That was more or less the impetus behind this post.

Luke Dockery said...

I really enjoy Elrod's blog, and was sad to see it go.

I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, and I didn't think he always dealt well with dissenting viewpoints (who does?), but he made me think, and he was funny.

On a somewhat ironic side note, now that he's gone private, I think he needs to change the name.

Search