charlestonsky

For the Love of Football

Just below the flyer seeking students to submit their bodies for research studies at MUSC and beside the intramural sports poster, I saw this:


"Discover why American football is so popular in the United States. Local legendary football stars will give insight on the exciting ins and outs of football."

Yes, a poster from the international student association for a meeting to help foreign guests appreciate our obsession for the football that uses feet very little.

I'm not sure how I would describe why I love football. It's a silly sport played by big dudes who frequently struggle to get better than 800s on their SAT's. But I'm hooked--even though my Gamecocks always disappoint, I treat the opening weekend of college football with more respect than Columbus Day, Labor Day, and President's Day combined.

I hope that the local legendary football stars manage to find the words to adequately describe a national obsession with big sweaty guys jumping on top of each other. More importantly, I hope that they find better words than "a bunch of big sweaty guys jumping on top of each other."

 

posted by Josh M on 6:18 PM

0 comments:

Search