charlestonsky

Tennessee Waltz

For as long as I can remember, surely before I knew anything about US geography, Papa would sing a funny song about Tennessee whenever he wanted us to lay down, be still, and go to sleep. Despite years of practice singing tenor and base in a capella West Texas churches of Christ, his voice would crack a little when he'd reach for high notes, but it didn't matter. My eyelids would still turn into 100 pound weights before he'd reach the third line.

I was waltzin' with my darlin' to the Tennessee waltz,
when an old friend I happened to see

I introduced her, to my loved one,
and while they were dancing,
my "friend" stole my sweetheart from me

I remember the night, and the Tennessee waltz,
now I know just how much I have lost

Yes, I lost my little darlin', the night they were playin' - the beautiful Tennessee waltz

Patti Page popularized the song, Tennessee Waltz, in 1950, and I suppose Papa has been singing it ever since. It's ironic how a sad, half-century old song about losing your girlfriend to a "friend" continues to bring back warm memories every time I hear it, think it, or well.. sing it..

By the way, I'm getting pretty sleepy, so I think I'll take a good nap now.

Thanks Papa.



  • You can make a lot of money. You can make a lot of friends. But you can't make a lot of both.

 

posted by Josh M on 4:18 PM under

1 comments:

Charlestonjoan said...

That is lovely. I've always liked hat song.

Search